Friday, October 24, 2014

Theatrical Shoe Making: Jill Shoot #1

So my friend Jill has a photo shoot for her Women's clothing coming up and I was asked to join in.
The theme is "futuristic" a popular theme with portfolio building photo teams.

I am referring to my women's photo shoot pieces as "theatrical" because that allows me more freedom in fabrication, other wise these pieces can take 40 - 60 hours and they are not always worth that kind of time.

I made a few sketches and decided to go with these:



I have been developing (trying) different ways to create the little "flick' at the top of the vamp and heel. It requires an addition to the lasts.

I made these in two parts because I was trying an all new way of making the extension. In order to get the vamp flick to go far down onto the cone of the last I realized that a 3/4" hole drilled tangent to the top of the cone was the answer, it works very well. In fact step one is to drill the hole parallel to the grain of the extension wood and then fit all of the other shapes to that. I used a large rat tail file to flair the 3/4 hole at the bottom where the cone gets wider. See #2 for the one piece execution. (coming soon) Once the flared drill hole fits the last very well then you can work the outside down to it; an inside -out approach.

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment