Sunday, June 30, 2019

Shoe Last Modification Technique

Everyone has there own "best way" this is the way I like to do it.

Toe modification is common, I use leather, the sides are real easy this way too.

Make one last Perfect then go after the the other, there is no point of doing them together until you are good at it or it is a simple change.

I start with skiving leather strips and gluing them onto the last.

The 5 in 1 is quick and easy
Soak in water for a minute

Fit and form


Gorilla glue, staple stretch, and hammer

The real trick here is to use the stretch tape.
The stretch tape is a constant force over the entire area and also lets the glue dry over night.




With the tape removed forming can start
When you use your belt sander keep the leather wet
"Feathering" (auto body repair term) the new into the old is slow and careful; you want a smooth transition without a dip.

After I am happy I use Minwax WATER BASED polyurethane to cote the leather; it soaks into the leather and stabilizes the surface.

Transferring to the other side I will cover later





No comments:

Post a Comment